Categories
Red Lodge Area Yellowstone Area Hikes and Attractions

Cascade Campground on West Fork Rock Creek

Cascade Creek Campground is located on the West Fork Rock Creek about 11 miles west of Red Lodge, MT. Nestled in the Beartooth Mountains at 7,600 ft, Cascade Creek Campground features great hiking, fishing, and mountain biking opportunities.

Cascade
Campground
SeasonMid-May – Mid-September
Number of sites30 campsites
ReservationsYes
AmenitiesVault Toilets, Picnic tables, Fire pits, Some food storage
AccessibleSome sites and all latrines
FirewoodYes – $
AttractionsHiking, Fly fishing, close to Red Lodge and the Beartooth Scenic Highway
Nearest CityRed Lodge, MT – 11 miles

Directions to the Cascade campground

The Cascade Campground is about 11 miles west of Red Lodge, MT alongside West For Rock Creek. It is very easy to find and accessible by any type of vehicle. The campground is on the West Fork Road which leaves US 212 (the Beartooth Highway) on the western edge of Red Lodge. The turn onto West Fork road is just about 1 mile from downtown Red Lodge and is well marked. This is also the road to the Red Lodge Ski Area so you can watch for their signs as well.

This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this site are affiliate links which means that, if you choose to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I greatly appreciate your support!

Follow the West Fork Road for just over 10 miles to the campground which will be on the left. The first 7 miles are all paved and the remaining 3 miles are on good gravel road.

Cascade Campground Campsites

There are 30 campsites in the campground that are laid out along two loops. Each of the sites has a picnic table and a fire ring with a cooking grate. There is bear-proof food storage available. Some sites have food cabinets while other sites share the storage. Accessible vault toilets and potable water are located throughout the campground. Only 2 sites (#1 & #2) have accessible picnic tables.

80% of the campsites can be reserved in advance using the online reservation system. The remaining 20% of the sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. All of the campsites have a nightly camping fee. If you reserve a site you will pay online but if you are paying onsite you must have cash or personal check. Firewood purchases also require cash or check.

Typical campsite in Cascade Campground
This is a typical campsite in the Cascade Campground. Each site has a picnic table and a fire pit with cooking grate. Most sites have steel bear-proof food storage lockers. There are accessible vault toilets and potable water throughout the campground..

Hiking, Biking & Fishing

There are some great trails in the area. The trailhead for the West Fork Trail (trail # 01) is about 2.5 miles at the end of the West Fork Road. The heads into the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness, climbing along the West Fork. The trail passes two waterfalls in the first 2 miles and continues on to Quinnebaugh Meadows at mile 4.5. The trail continues until it reaches a high pass after miles. Along the way there are lakes and side trips to delight all hikers and backpackers. At the summit the trail connects to the Lake Fork Trail (trail #02) which follows Lake Creek down to Main Rock Creek. The Forest Service provides this map of the West Fork and Lake Fork Trails.

There are other great trails in the area. Some are open to mountain bikes while others are foot and horse only. We have more information on our guide to the West Fork Rock Creek.

There are a number of fishing opportunities near the Cascade Campground. The West Fork Rock Creek runs past the campground and offers fly fishing for rainbow, brown and brook trout. Many of the mountain lakes in the area have good fishing and Wild Bill Lake offers fishing that is easy to access. In fact, it even has accessible fishing sites.

For additional information about the Cascade Campground contact:
Beartooth Ranger District
6811 US Hwy 212
Red Lodge, MT 59068
(406) 446-2103